The National Rock Garden is a proprietary limited company that is the sole trustee of the National Rock Garden Trust. Day to day activities are carried out by the NRG Steering Committee with advice provided by a group of trusted mentors that sit on the NRG Advisory Council. The steering committee also receives advice from a number of sub-committees.
Board of Directors
The National Rock Garden Pty Ltd ACN 151 118 553 has one shareholder (the Geological Society of Australia) and a board of four directors:
- Emeritus Professor Brad Pillans, Hon FRSNZ FGSA, Chair, National Rock Garden, Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT
- John Bain, MGSA, former geologist Geoscience Australia, Canberra, ACT
- Michelle Cooper, MGSA, Geoscience Australia, Canberra, ACT
- Mike Smith, FGSA, Hon MASEG, FAIG, RPGeo, former General Manager Exploration, Austpac Resources N.L., Sydney, NSW.
NRG Advisory Council
This council comprises influential scientists, community representatives and business people including:
- Dr Neil Williams, Honorary Professor, Australian National University and former CEO, Geoscience Australia (Chair)
- Shenal Basnayake, CEO, Australian Science Teachers Association
- Prof. Tom Calma AO FAA, Chancellor, University of Canberra
- Jo White, Director, Questacon
- Dr James Johnson, CEO, Geoscience Australia
- Tom Kapitany, Director, National Dinosaur Museum
- Dr Mathew Trinca, Director, National Museum of Australia
- Simon Troeth, Manager – Government Relations and Industry Associations, Newcrest Mining Limited
- Kate Schulze, General Manager, Minerals Council of Australia
- Scott Saddler AM, Executive Branch Manager, National Arboretum Canberra.
The National Rock Garden project is governed by a Steering Committee:
- Prof. Brad Pillans, Australian National University, Director, National Rock Garden (Chair)
- John Bain, Director, National Rock Garden
- Andrew Barrett, MGSA, retired geologist
- Dr Marita Bradshaw, consulting petroleum geologist
- Michelle Cooper, Geoscience Australia, Director, National Rock Garden
- Dr Rowena Duckworth, Gnomic Exploration Services and Mintex Petrological Solutions
- Dr Sarah Kachovich, Australian National University
- Prof. Ken McQueen, University of Canberra
- Mike Smith, former General Manager Exploration, Austpac Resources N.L., Director, National Rock Garden
- Matt Townsend, Geological Society of Australia member
- Dr Peter Williams, Aurel Consulting
- Tony Wiggins, BHP, representing AusIMM Geoscience Society.
Active and enthusiastic people are invited to nominate to join the Steering Committee. Just send us a message via the contact us page.
Sub-committees have been established to advise the Board and/or carry out management functions delegated by the Board:
- Finance and Risk Sub-Committee
- Rock Selection Sub-Committee
- Landscape Design Sub-Committee
- Communications Sub-Committee
- Education and Outreach Sub-Committee
- Indigenous Liaison Sub-Committee.