Timeframe: 1,800–1,000 Ma, latest Palaeoproterozoic (Statherian) and Mesoproterozoic
Archean cratons assemble into proto-Australia (and become part of the new supercontinent Nuna) Giant ore deposits in sedimentary basins and in the mobile belts.
Rocks to show: major mineralisation that has built inland cities – Broken Hill, Mt Isa; plus key resources – Argyle (diamonds), Olympic Dam (uranium-copper-gold), Century (lead-zinc) etc. And the assembly of Nuna – Rocky Cape Gp quartzite.
- 2,200–1,300 Ma Assembly and breakup of supercontinent Nuna (Blewett et al 2012)
- 1,800 Ma Assembly of West Australian Craton WAC & North Australian Craton NAC (Johnson, 2013)
- 1,300 Ma Assembly of WAC–NAC with South Australia Craton SAC (Johnson, 2013)
- 1,300 Ma Assembly of supercontinent Rodina begins, Nuna breakup (Blewett et al, 2012)
- 2,000 Ma Assembly of West Australian Craton (Johnson, 2013)
Rocks included in this theme
- Cooyerdoo Granite, South Australian Craton
- Broken Hill gossan
- Argyle diamond ore
- Rocky Cape Group Quarzite